"My life's adventures, work, and walk with God as a missionary in Latin America"




Thursday, August 18, 2011

Back in El Salvador

After nearly five intense months of preparation, I am back in El Salvador - and back at work - continuing the pursuit of the call of God in my life. But it hasn't all been smooth sailing, and although I left Santa Cruz with nearly 90% of my committed support raised, and my care team willing and ready, there were many challenges here that awaited me.


My re-entry goals for these first weeks in El Salvador were rather simple - buy an affordable car, rent an adequate apartment, and pass through the time consuming process of gaining 'Missionary Residency' in El Salvador.


But it hasn't been all simple. Out of the 14 days that I have been in El Salvador, six of those were spent sick with painful and debilitating intestinal parasites. On day nine, Rebeca found, and I went and rented the perfectly located apartment, and then on day 10, while moving me in, we discovered that the apartment has no running water. On day 12, I found a car to buy, and on day 13, I was told (before buying it, thanks to God) that it had broken down. Yesterday, I also took my first step in the involved process of applying for and getting my Missionary Residence, and thanks to God, and help from Rebeca, it went very well.


Honestly, I have felt overwhelmed. I am starting to think that 'overwhelming' is one of God's favorite tools for character formation. And yet even when I start to feel this way, there is one thing that hovers in my mind. Psalm 149:2 says:



Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;
Let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.


It's pretty simple. I have a maker, and He is God. I belong to a king, who is looking out for me, and is responsible for my well being, and that king is the LORD Jesus Christ. So I rejoice, and am able to be joyful, even in trials.


Whether I find a house and car, or not. Whether I am given residency, or not. My job is to work as unto the LORD in all that I do, and place all of my trust in Him - and not in things. My calling is to honor Him as my Maker and King, and to rejoice in the simple experience of knowing Him - and in that rejoicing, invite other to join me.


Yesterday, after spending more than 4 hours at government offices in pursuit of my residency, Rebeca and I boarded a bus to leave, and found ourselves entering into a place of conflict. In El Salvador, Evangelists, Beggars, Activists, and Campaigners regularly board buses to publicly share their opinions with the crowds captive audiences gathered there. Often I have found myself praying along as many a brave man stood up to share the Gospel.


But the scene on the bus was different this time around. A man stood up and began to intimidate the crowd with his booming voice and cries of outrage. He chastised them for their intolerance and judgement of his sexual practices. He blamed them for the self hatred and other emotional difficulties that he and other homosexuals had gone through. He charged them to accept and embrace all sexual practices as right and good. And then he threatened them with hellfire and the wrath of God for their supposed 'sins';
twisting and turning Bible verses about love, acceptance, and judgement to his favor, and misquoting stories about the life of David.


The crowd from the beginning had the heads bowed; whether because of shame or fear I will never
know. From the beginning, I felt a struggle within myself as to whether or not I should speak up, and what I should say. Rebeca was sitting next to me, overwhelemed and shocked.


When he began to quote the Scriptures, I could hold my peace no longer. It is one thing to sin, and yet another thing entirely to deceive others into participating in it. Finally, I spoke out.


"You sir, are wrong, and the Bible does not support your position."
My voice answered his. And with a supernatural love and direction, I began to share
"We do not reject you, sir. You are even welcome to come and visit our church."
"We love you in the love of God, the same love that gave you the gift of life, and the freedom to stand here and speak."
Some raised their heads, others opened their eyes, some even covered their ears.
"But we do not love your sin, and will not accept it. Neither will God. You must repent - for all sin is an affront against God"
"Your speech today is an attack against the very love of God, the same divine love that created you, and permits you to stand here and share with these people"
"Some would have you believe that God will reject you because of your sin, but I tell you now that their IS forgiveness for you in the heart of God, if you repent and accept Him."
"Do not fight against the love of God! Repent, and accept Him!"


Red in the face, he looked past my gazed, and repeated his charge to the passengers; one, two, three or more times - full of fury, yet with a deep set confusion upon his face.


As we stood to get off of the bus, a man touched my shoulder, and thanked me for what I had shared. What impact I had, I may never know. But in my mind one thing is clear and important.

I want to honor my King.





Prayer and Praise:

Praise God for my safe arrival back in El Salvador
Praise God for raising up my financial support and care team before I left
Pray for Rebeca and I as she helps me look for the right car and house for me to live in
Pray for me as I start to serve full time in the ministry here with CCSS
Pray for Rebeca as she finishes her University classes this year
Pray for our wedding and future marriage next year
Pray for both of us to clearly hear God's voice, and grow in out intimacy with Him

4 comments:

  1. Great post Theo...may God continue to give you the BOLDNESS needed to love those who twist the word. Praying for the both of you!

    On another note...as you may or may not know. Anthony Williams went to be with the Lord this past Saturday around 5:15 am. Memorial services are this coming Saturday at CCSC @ 1pm. Keep Manna and the kids in your prayers. Anthony is rejoicing in the Lord and in His presence!

    ---wilson n jayme

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great to read, Theo! So glad you did what you did! I think your boldness, directed by the Spirit of God, will encourage others who read this blog to likewise speak lovingly and boldly in the name of Jesus. We thank God for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theo, still have that glass Rose? Oh how God can use us if we would only let him. You have and are being used so wonderfully. Gods message of love and hope for us all came from you that day on the bus. Perhaps an even greater example for me is how you are handling all of lifes difficulties there. We all will know suffering, how we handle it is the key. It is a timely reminder to me, to accept all that life brings us remembering He is on the Throne. You will remain in my prayers, and I would ask you (busy as you are) to pray for America, what a misson field it has become!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be a soldier of God and to follow the King of Kings into the battle against darkness will test you as a disciple. Perservere brother. Never give up. You have a great attitude right now. I'm trying to stay focused on Him too. But we both know in our hearts how faithful He is. I' m praying for both of you and for the angels that are helping you and your entire team there on the ground. Always stay true. Peace to you and Grace. James

    ReplyDelete