"My life's adventures, work, and walk with God as a missionary in Latin America"




Thursday, March 24, 2011

Homecoming

In January I left from my home in California for three months, to get to know and experience life and ministry in El Salvador.
The purpose of my trip - to spy out the land - to see first hand the blessings and challenges of serving in one of the most dangerous and beautiful countries in Latin America.
Will I be able to live here long term? Do I have what it takes? Do I have the faith and the character to follow God where I believe He has called me, and trust Him for protection, provision, and blessing?

I was met with many ministry oportunities, as well as challenges. I spent my mornings and afternoons teaching the Bible to hundreds of youth, was able to work with my fiancee teaching Sunday school classes to children in the slums, and spent time building discipleship relationships with several young men. I was also confronted on a daily basis with the risks and dangers of working in a country plagued with violence, crime, and poverty; and came face to face with things that I had never imagined or desired to experience. There were days and moments where I was just overwhelmed. Can these challeneges be overcome?



In the book of Numbers, God tells His people to send a small group of men ahead of the people to 'spy out' the land that He has lead them to, and promised for them.

Of the 12 that go in to spy out the land, 10 are of accord (Numbers 13:31)- 'this land cannot being conquered - the challenges are too great'

But Caleb, a true man of faith, chose to stand on God's promises
"Then Caleb quieted the people before Moses, and said, “Let us go up at once and take possession , for we are well able to overcome it"



My travel back to California on Tuesday was the most dificult I've had. My travel started with security problems, a four hour delay, missed 'good-byes', and a packed flight. When I got to my connecting flight, I thought the worst was over - until I was hit with a migraine. Curled up in my seat with my head throbbing, and tears streaming down my face, I began begging the LORD for healing and comfort from my migraine, and everthingy else; and my worries and doubts came back up to the surface.

"Do I really have what it takes to come back to El Salvador? Will I even be able to raise the support money to be able to live there? Will the LORD provide? Will He protect me, and my future wife?"

Then, just when it all became too much, I heard His still small voice speak, "Follow my presence, give up seeking comfort, and I will be with you."

In the moment He spoke, my migraine was healed. My time of preparation for everything ahead had begun. Staying in the states, living the safe and comfortable life is too easy. I want to follow His call, and His presence. I want to be His obediant servant. And I trust Him for everything.

My plan for this time in California is simple. Spend four months working, serving, and raising prayer and financial support, before returning to El Salvador and serving the LORD there in Calvary Chapel with a long term commitment. The Lord has given me open doors to serve Him in a nation filled with the blessings of revival, and the thousands of men and women that are coming to faith in El Salvador are in great need of Bible teaching, and discipleship. There are many giants in El Salvador as well - daily violence and destitute poverty are hard things to overcome, and can be emotionally, physically, and spiritually overwhelming. But God is bigger.

With my future marriage on the horizon, and with needed ministry waiting for me in El Salvador - I choose to take the position that Caleb took - and stand firm on the promises and calling of God, while I prepare for the things ahead.


Quick Prayer Points:

1. Please pray for God's protection and provision- for myself, and my future wife, as we both seek to serve the LORD in El Salvador.

2. Please pray that God would use this time of preparation to raise up men and women to be a part of our ministry in El Salvador through committed financial, spiritual, and emotional support.

3. Please pray that God would prepare my heart and mind for the things He has for me, and that I would be submissive to His will and His purposes every step of the way.

4. Please pray for Rebeca and I as we seek the LORD in preparation for our future marriage and ministry together.


2 comments:

  1. Danny and I will be praying for you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back...will keep you in prayer...let's plan on doing lunch in the near future...Anthony

    ReplyDelete